Field Order via Oracle ODBC

From: Brad Pybus <brad_pybus_nospam_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:09:18 -0500

Here is my situation. I use SQL server to as a back end to MSAccess as a front end. When I open tables with MSAccess, the field order directly corresponds to the order of the fields in the original SQL server create table statement. We had a convention where the first field was ALWAYS the primary key for the table. The code we have in MSAccess works based on this convention. In other words we do things like:

fldPrimaryKey = MyTableDef.Fields(0)

But now that we have ported the database over to Oracle and connected to Access via the Oracle ODBC driver, when I open a table in Access, the field order does not correspond to the field order in the original create table statement.

Is this the Oracle ODBC driver's fault?? Is there any way to get it to transmit the fields in the correct order?

We already have one fix for this problem:

' Where GetPrimaryKeyField() iterates through the indexes
' collection to find the primary key field
fldPrimaryKey = GetPrimaryKeyField(MyTableDef)

We would rather figure out how to get the ODBC driver to transmit the fields in the correct order. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

    Brad

--
To reply to me, remove the "_nospam" from my address. Received on Mon Jun 07 1999 - 18:09:18 CDT