Re: Performance problem using oracle and ado

From: Timothy Q. Oliver <timothyoliver_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 23:00:32 -0400

Roderick,

The problems you are experiencing are unusual to be sure. ADO performance is supposed to be both quicker and easier to program than Jet. I use Oracle 8 and ADO and retrieve four times as many rows as what you describe in about two seconds or so. My Oracle server is on a Solaris box with over 1GB or RAM. A couple of tuning tips you might try is:

1) If possible: setting your recordset to adopenforwardonly
2) If possible: setting your recordset to adLockReadOnly
3) Make sure your connect string is the same everytime you access the
database. That means the same userid/password, provider, etc. 4) Make sure you are using the Provider=MSDAORA and not ODBC=DSN... 5) Make sure you are only asking for the columns you will need at one time.

Keep in mind that it is not likely since your Jet queries are performing acceptably but your database server may need tuning as well.

Hope this helps!!