Re: Oracle clients crash

From: Alan Yeary <AY_at_doofus.mn>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 18:48:24 GMT

In article <3757a984.12125638_at_news.xs4all.nl>, someone_at_somewhere.nl (Frank Heijmans) wrote:

>Hi
>
>Maybe crashing isn't the correct term to use. Since nothing is
>actually starting. This is the third machine where this happens. As
>usual nobody knows wat has been changed, but no oracle application
>will start anymore. According to DrWatson it is an error in sqlnet.
>(ntt80.dll invalid pointer)
>
>However, it seems to me that he doesn't now what he is talking about.
>I have the feeling that somehow a win95 dll is corrupted or missing,
>and ntt80.dll is trying to use this file.
>
>Because the strange thing is that the whole system appearantly is
>f***edup, since even re-installing net8 or the whole Oracle
>installation for that matter doesn't help.
>
>The only thing I could think of, the last two times, was re-installing
>the whole system. But that's not a real option.
>
>Does anybody else have this problem and know how to deal with it. I
>haven't got a clue what to look for.
>
>We are using oracle net8 client 8.0.4.0.0 on win95 boxes
>
>regards,
>
>Frank Heijmans

I don't know about Win95, but this is what happens on Win98 using 8.0.4.0 : NTT80.DLL tries to get the address of some function that it thinks is exported by some winsock-related dll, gets an address of zero, (because the function is really in some other dll), attempts to call the function using the zero address and bombs.

There is a patch for Net8 version 804 that fixes this. It might be worth a try. Download files "readme.txt" and "80407.exe" from

ftp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com/server/patchsets/wgt_tech/server/windowsNT/network/net8/80407/

Instructions are in the readme. Or else upgrade to 805. Received on Fri Jun 04 1999 - 13:48:24 CDT