Re: ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 17:55:26 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Mark Patterson <mpatterson_at_iel.ie> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 17:31:57 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Anyone ever come across "ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed"
>before?
>
>or the following that accompanied it.
>
>"ORA-25138: SEQUENCE_CACHE_ENTRIES initialization parameter has been
>made obsolete
>ORA-25138: SEQUENCE_CACHE_HASH_BUCKETS initialization parameter has been
>made obsolete
>ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed"
>

>I've just installed Oracle 8i (Oracle 8.1.5) on Solaris 2.6 and am
>currently trying to create a database instance. I've created the
>init.ora file, run svrmgrl, connected as sysdba.
>When I tried to startup nomount I got this error.
>We are currently running off a hired Sun box but the lease runs out
>today so I really need to get Oracle installed ASAP.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark P.

Yes, i've hit that when the system resources are too small (shared memory, processes, *semaphores* is the cause of this particular one i believe).

my /etc/system has in it:

set maxusers=400

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10

set semsys:seminfo_semmni=500
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=500
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=500
set semsys:seminfo_semopm=500
set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=250

set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=500
set semsys:seminfo_semume=100

if you merge that in and do a "boot -r" on the machine (or touch /reconfigure and reboot normal) you should be OK.

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Jun 04 1999 - 12:55:26 CDT