Re: Access 97 to connect to Oracle Dbase

From: <david.ellis_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 18:15:16 GMT

My client asked me if it were possible to link an Oracle 8 table into Access 97 using the new Oracle Objects for OLE 2.3 feature. He showed me an article saying this was faster and better. Unfortunately the example the article gives shows only how to create a dynaset OLE object in VBA code. I suspect that creating a linked table requires using ODBC rather than OO, but cannot find an unequivocal statement to this effect. I hate telling the client it's impossible just because I don't know how to do it.
  David Ellis

In article <nbr_2.5495$me.2306291_at_WReNphoon4>,   ramsc_at_goplay.com (RamSC) wrote:
> Hi RNK:
> The short answer is yes. You use the File/Get External Data/Link
Tables to
> put the Oracle table in your Access Database as an external linked
file.

> The long answer is that you have to have the Oracle ODBC drivers
setup.

> Good luck. You will have to live with the data constraints setup in
your
> Oracle data.
>
> I do a lot of data conversions to Oracle at my work and use this quite
a bit
> because of the ease of queries and data manipulation in Access.
>
> Robert
> ramsc_at_goplay.com
>
> -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
> Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 03 1999 - 13:15:16 CDT