Re: ISO VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle Forms

From: Jeffrey Altman <jaltman_at_watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
Date: 3 Jun 1999 18:52:38 GMT

In article <3756BEB7.E9CCD66F_at_GSC.GTE.Com>, Scott G. Hall <Scott.Hall_at_GSC.GTE.Com> wrote:
: "Richard S. Shuford" wrote:
: >
: > "Frampton Steve R" wrote:
: > > I'm in need of a VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle
: > > SQL*Forms; it needs to either run under Linux/Unix or [in dosemu].
: >
: > Keep in mind that character-cell terminals communicate their
: > keystrokes by means of Escape sequences, as opposed to scan codes.
: > You must set up your keyboard so that, when you press a key, it sends
: > the proper Escape sequence to tell Oracle what action to perform.
: >
: > Some terminal-related information is archived at
: >
: > http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html
: >
: > (There is even a mention there of the Queens University Kermit
: > program! :-)
:
: There is another regular poster to this newsgroup who is the author of
: Kermit-95. I believe that he emulates the VT-220 function keys correctly
: so that it would work for you. Let's hope he is reading this now, and
: can reply if he has a version for UNIX.

Scott, thanks for the mention. Unfortunately, our Unix product, C-Kermit does not provide terminal emulation. Terminal emulation for C-Kermit is provided by the Xterm (or other) window in which the process executes. T.E. Dickey's Xterm is probably the best in this area providing VT220 with keymapping:

 http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm/xterm.html

Depending upon how good dosemu is, the poster might be able to use MS-DOS Kermit. However, the biggest question that this user needs to find an answer to is:

  what are the key-bindings for Oracle SQL*Forms?

If someone can provide that information, then I am sure that someone else can provide a proper set of X Windows or Xterm key bindings.

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2

                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
              612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025
  http://www.kermit-project.org/k95.html * kermit-support@kermit-project.org Received on Thu Jun 03 1999 - 13:52:38 CDT