Re: How to learn Oracle?

From: Bart Hanssens <antares_at_grmbl.com>
Date: 3 Jun 1999 16:24:56 GMT

On 30 May 1999 23:12:27 GMT, Carolyn Levin wrote:
>Is it possible to learn Oracle by yourself? I have an engineering background.

So, what do you want to learn ? Quick overview:

DBA: creating, maintaining, tuning databases etc. SQL: query language, used for storing and retrieving data PL/SQL: looks like SQL mixed with Pascal :) Pro*C: combining c and SQL, PL/SQL (also Pro*Cobol, Pro*C++, ...) Developer(Forms, Reports): creating Windows & Motif front-ends Designer: generating Forms, Reports, Webpages etc...

Well, I guess one can easily learn SQL, PL/SQL, Pro*C, the basics of Reports and Forms, even _some_ DBA. Developing advanced Forms / Reports is somewhat tougher and tuning databases will (IMHO) take years of field experience. Learning Designer by yourself might be your worst nightmare...

The database itself and SQL, PL/SQL, Pro*C are well-documented, if you want to learn Developer(Forms) / Designer, you might be interested in the Oracle Developer's Resource Library (Prentice Hall, $120)

>Can Oracle be loaded on to a home computer? If so, how much does Oracle cost?

Sure, you can try Oracle Server 8 for NT / Linux, or a lightweight server on Win95/98 (Personal Oracle). At home, I used to run Oracle 8 for Linux on a P-120 56 MB RAM. You might get lucky and ask Oracle for a free version of Oracle Server 8 (academic use only)

greetings,

Bart Hanssens
--
c...because you can't build universes upon E = m COBOL^2 Received on Thu Jun 03 1999 - 11:24:56 CDT