sgadef.dbf error with Pro*C program when connecting to database

From: <allym_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 06:46:33 GMT

Hi. I've read 53 previous posts on DejaNews which refer to sgadef.dbf, but none of the advice seems relevant.

My problem is that when trying to run a Pro*C application, it fails with ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-07318: smsget: open error when opening sgadef.dbf file. HP-UX Error: 2: No such file or directory.

I've checked the permissions on $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle which are -rwsr-sr-x

All users appear to have ORACLE_HOME set to /oracle and also have ORACLE_SID set to abctest.

The file /oracle/dbs/sgadefabctest.dbf exists as I'd expect.

Now, the REALLY strange thing is that I can use sqlplus and login in succesfully to the database - (i.e. sqlplus user/password) with a variety of UNIX users - including the one that tries to run the Pro*C program. I can also connect from remotely with sqlplus user/password_at_machine.

The Pro*C program logs on to the database using EXEC SQL CONNECT :username IDENTIFIED BY :password; which seems standard to me.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance
Ally

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 03 1999 - 01:46:33 CDT