Re: Oracle views and indexes

From: Richard Armstrong <StateOArt_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:03:05 -0600

You need to do some explain plans on the statements to see where the indexes are needed for the cost based optimizer. You can set your session to rule based, but that is not the correct solution. I don't know why your application would require a major rewrite due to the optimization method. Optimization method is a function of the database, not the application.

It sounds like you need a tool to perform tuning analysis on your statements (such as SQL*Navigator/Tuner). You also need to get a tuning book such as Tuning Oracle from Oracle Press.

Your problem could be with an incorrectly tuned Oracle installation, or with poorly selected indexes.

--

Richard Armstrong
State Of The Art Consulting, Inc.