Oracle 8 Tuning Question

From: Douglas Peel <dpeel_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:54:59 -0500

Hey all,

I am fairly new to the Oracle game and I'm having a tuning problem. I am running a query on a fairly large table (1M records) and it seems to be taking much longer than it should. I'm running Oracle 8 on and NT4.0 Server box. What I've noticed is when the query is being executed, the total CPU usage rarely (if ever) goes above around 16-18% and never above 25%, but, the query can take several minutes (3-10 minutes depending on result set) to execute. Why would the CPU usage remain so low? Why not use all of the CPU time? The box has no other tasks running simultaneously that should prevent it from taking what it needs.

I believe that I have all of the tables indexed properly and the query is optimized, but, like I said, I'm new enough to not be 100% sure.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

dpeel_at_mindspring.com Received on Tue Jun 01 1999 - 09:54:59 CDT