Re: DBA vs Developer

From: Thomas Bierhance <Bierhance_at_orbital-computer.de>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 02:38:07 +0200

> I'm not sure which to pursue...Oracle DBA or Developer. Can someone please
> explain the differences???

The Developer creates the application. The DBA makes sure the system starts and keeps running. A typical DBA works for one company and takes care of their databasesystem. Installation, Security, Backup, Performance, Replication, etc. The Developer created the system around, often he/she works for a software company that serves different clients. Besides PL/SQL (sp, funcs, triggers) and the actual design of the db the developer's most work is programming with 3rd and 4th GL Tools that are not by oracle. That can be Java, C++, VBA, Delphi and of course Oracle - Tools like Developer.

> Also is Oracle taught as part of a university computer science degree? In
> other words, would I be competing with university grads with computer
> science degrees if I looked for a job as an Oracle DBA or Developer?

Yes, but always keep in mind that your skills count not your papers... (espacially more and more in the it-industrie)

Regards,

Thomas
Germany Received on Mon May 31 1999 - 19:38:07 CDT