why can't find ORACLE DB? why import failed?

From: OPQ <sun_in_purple_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 01:41:59 +0800

hi! I am new to Oracle! I met two problem recently, I need you guru's help!

1> I export user_data from Oracle 7.1.3 and import to another PC running Oracle 7.1.3, too. But the import failed, then I found I need to use 'Database Expander" to extend user_data myself to 600MB, doesn't import do the increment of user_data itself? why need manual expanding?

2> after I imported data, and started the database, I run an app to access the new db? If on same pc with the Oracle DB, it can find the DB and run ok? but if I
run from another pc, it can find the db? I assume it can find DB via named pipe (since alias is as follows: newdb=p:fdbserver:ORCL), the Oracle is 7.1.3 on Window NT, and with only TCP/IP protocol, but WINS is set ok, so I can ping the PC with name: fdbserver from any PC (the clinet also has WINS set). The environment is as older DB machine with the only difference that the older DB is on PDC and new DB is on stand-alone NT server when installed.

THanks in advance!

P.S. if you can email me, all the appreciation is mine! scottchu_at_ms4.url.com.tw
or scottchu_tw_at_hotmail.com Received on Mon May 31 1999 - 12:41:59 CDT