Re: Oracle7.3.4 installation on Sun solaris

From: terry norman <scott_at_tiger9.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:29:18 +0100

Hi Venu,

I'm fairly new to this but maybe this is some use :-

When I moved a database from HP-UX to Sun I found I had to set a group of unix kernel parameters to do with shared memory :

SHMMAX 8388608 or higher than the maximum SGA size The maximum size (in bytes) of a single shared memory segment. SHMMIN 1 The minimum size (in bytes) of a single shared memory segment. SHMMNI 100 The number of shared memory identifiers. SHMSEG 10 The maximum number of shared memory segments that can be attached by a process.
SEMMNS 200 The number of semaphores in the system. SEMMNI 70 The number of semaphore set identifiers in the system. SEMMNI determines the number of semaphore sets that can be created at any one time. SEMMSL equal to the value of the initialization parameter PROCESSES The maximum number of semaphores that can be in one semaphore set. Should be the same size as the maximum number of Oracle processes.

. . . . but I can't remember how I found out what they were set to initially, and the numbers might be different for you.

I didn't have root access to the box so had to get a unix system administrator to do it for me. After setting these you have to re-boot the box so there's an outage to schedule.

As I say, I'm not very experienced, but it may be this area that is causing the problem. Best to talk to a unix person first.

Best of luck,
Terry Norman.