Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: Stephen Harris <sweh_at_mpn.com>
Date: 30 May 1999 09:38:51 GMT

Cedric Young (cedric.young_at_utoronto.ca) wrote:
: So, in other words, you are saying if I can handle everything well on NT, I
: shouldn't have much problem with Unix? This is just the kind of question I

Sort of.

: Can someone tell me where the differences are between the two? I mean, are
: there only difference between the system admin. stuff? Or the entire thing
: is different? (ie, GUI for NT and CLI for Unix, know NT not = know Unix)

Pretty much the difference is on the sysadmin side. Installing the RDBMS in the first place is a bit different, but once you have a running database the similarities far outweigh the differences.

However, I personally believe that you can't be a _good_ DBA until you are proficient in the OS you are using. Because of this, I've spent a lot of times in the past teaching Unix to DBAs so that they are more efficient at their jobs.

So... an adequate DBA could run on any OS. A good DBA needs to know the OS.

rgds
Stephen Received on Sun May 30 1999 - 04:38:51 CDT