ODBC and stored procedures

From: <shielsy_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 07:10:00 GMT

Hello,

I would just like to know if its possible to retrieve data returned from a stored procedure without binding parameters. Can I call the procedure and then retrieve each returned column using

SQLExecute();
SQLFetch();
SQLGetData(iColumnNumber,SQL_C_CHAR, ....);?

instead of using:

SQLBindParameters(iColumnNumber, ..);
SQLExecute();
SQLFetch();

I would like to do this because I have around 50 stored procedures and want to write a wizard that produces the code without binding any parameters. I have sucessfully developed the wizard to produce standard C++ code for SELECT, INSERT etc without using any binding. The main reason for this is because I think that binding and unbinding columns is not very efficient esp. when I have to call many different stored procedures each time.

Although I don't think I have an alternative than to use binding, I would appreciate any information or advice.

Thanks,

Andy Shiels

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri May 28 1999 - 02:10:00 CDT