ROWID issue between v7 and V8

From: George Zachary <georgez_at_tig.com.au>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:39:25 +1000

Hi,

I upgraded an Oracle database from 7.3.2 to 8.0.5. There are some apps using ROWID and what I want
to double check is that in my particular case there is no need to use the DBMS_ROWID package.
The Migration Manual states that application that do not attemp to assemble or disassemble ROIDs manually
do not need to be changed or recompiled. Applications that attemp to manufacture or analyze
the contents of ROWIDs have to use the DBMS_ROWID package.

In my case, I have seen in a ProC program

EXEC SQL DECLARE CUR_1 CURSOR FOR
SELECT ROWID,
        AREA| | SERV
FROM ORDERS;

EXEC SQL FETCH CUR_1
INTO : rowid ..........

and somewhere later an update function containing

EXEC SQL UPDATE ORDERS

SET       AREA     =:x
              SERV    =y

WHERE ROWID = :rowid

Because the value of the ROWID is only used in the WHERE clause I assume that the code should work
without any modification. Am I right ?

I also found this in a procedure within a form4.5

select ....

   where...

      and rowid <>nvl(:entry.rowid,0);

and in a block

DEFINE BLOCK

where rowid in (select cont.rowid from cont ....

Any advice much appreciated,

    George Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 09:39:25 CDT