Please Help!!!

From: <sudha3718_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 03:29:56 GMT

Hello Everybody,
PLEASE POST ANY REPLIES TO sudha_at_altasoft.com

         I have a peculiar problem with Oracle Database ( 8.0.3 ) on Unix Platform. For one of my Queries, I have added an Index Hint

   Syntax : INDEX( IDX_MAKE_1 ) ( Absence of Table Name didn't seem to

                                   matter.?? )

   The Problem is as follows :
For one of the tables referenced in the Query ( Parent Table ) I have a Field which acts as a Foreign Key in another Table ( Child Table ) which is also used in the same query. I found that if the Foreign Key Constraint in the Child Table is removed , then the Database load average DOUBLES than in the case when the constraints are present.

What is the relationship between having hints and presence/absence of Foreign Key Constraints. By the way, there is no statistics enabled for any of the tables since the Index Hint was thought to be Rule Based.

Moreover, the Query with Constraints and Hints runs slightly faster than the case without the constraints. When I did the Explain plan for both the cases, in the case of the Constraints not being there, there is an Operation called LIST ITERATOR WITH AN OPTION OF CONCATENATED Shown. What does LIST ITERATOR mean???

If, anybody, could shed some light, suggestions, clues, I would very much appreciate it.

                            Thanks in Advance,
                             V.Sudharsan
PLEASE REPLY TO Sudha_at_altasoft.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 22:29:56 CDT