Access 97 ODBC trouble

From: Geoff Byfield <geoff.byfield_at_crc-sugar.jcu.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:22:00 +1000

G'day

I am having problems with using an ODBC connection to Oracle 8 using Access97. The platform is Windows 95, and I am using is the Oracle ODBC driver. The problem seems to have been intermittent over the last week - ie working then not working, now the machine will not connect at all.

I can get a connection to the database fine using the Net8 Assistant, however whenever I go to link tables or open an existing Access database containing linked tables the Client machine just sits there churning away at the hard drive. This is getting to me just a tad, I have tried numerous things such as reinstalling Win95, de/reinstalling the Oracle client as well as Office 97, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

When I first implemented the ODBC system I recall that the connection could be made fine using the Microsoft Oracle ODBC driver, but then when I switched one of the machines to Win98 it would only connect with the Oracle ODBC driver. However, at the moment I am running several machines (both win95 & 98), with the Oracle driver and they don't seem to have any problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff Byfield Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 19:22:00 CDT