Re: Oracle sure loves disk space for storage, doesn't it?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:57:18 +0800

NNOOR wrote:

> We have a schema whose data file has grown to about 560MB. Same data
> when exported using full export only takes about 43MB. And when this
> data is imported to local tables like under Paradox or Access, it
> only takes up about 50MB of space. The space taken by Oracle is after
> an import into an empty file (i.e. starting from scratch).
> Why does Oracle gobbles up all that space?
> The data files was set initialy to be 10MB and set to grow by
> 5MB each time. I know that the storage requirements could depend on
> a guzzilion different things, but we know the size of our data and
> to see an import file sized 43MB balloon to 560MB in a data file is
> really surprising. It realy throws off our storage estimates and
> planning. Where do you think we should start looking? Or, is this
> normal for Oracle? In the later case, I would love to know what the
> storage is being used for!
>
> Regards,
> Nasir Noor (nnoor_at_cris.com)

  1. Check out pctincrease, or at least look at dba_extents and see how big each one is...
  2. Is your initial extent sized outrageously ?

Also (although I doubt it would have the impact you mention) maybe pctused and pctfree
are inappropriately set...

HTH --

Connor McDonald

"Hardware,n. The bits that can be kicked" Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 09:57:18 CDT