Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: <mkx_at_excite.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:30:19 GMT

Here is the kicker. As an NT developer, I have Intel hardware laying around all over the place. But no Sparcs, or any RISC systems. Thus, to gain skills in UNIX, I have three choices: Linux, Solaris X86, and SCO/UnixWare. (I know there are others, but I am looking for specific apps)

In visiting IBM's web site today, I am reminded of something. Linux is the new baby in town, and everyone _seems_ to jumping on the bandwagon. I can get DB2, WebSphere, IBM HTTP/Apache on Linux. I can also get Oracle, and Sybase (slightly dated 11.0.3). VisualAge for Java on Linux may be available this year.

But try to get this breadth of application support for X86 UNIX. No DB2 or Sybase. Maybe Oracle (if it exists, it does not seem well supported). No WebSphere. No Java IDE's. Some of the stuff is on SCO/UnixWare, but not much more.

Thus, while Linux is probably not up to speed with the rest of the UNIX "Big Boys", as an Intel user, I can sure do more with Linux (app wise).

It is an interesting conundrum: Learn "real" UNIX with Solaris X86, etc., or do "real" things with Linux (app wise).

[I know I am inviting flames here, but please note everyone, I am stating facts as I see them, not opinions. If I have incorrect details, please feel free to point me in the right direction.]