Re: Pro*C or OCI, which is faster?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:19:51 GMT

A copy of this was sent to manager43_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 27 May 1999 12:17:55 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>OCI is more faster access method then Pro*C due to -
>
>each Pro*C statement is expand typically at five OCI statements -
>
>so if you remove "redundant" statements of OCI performance of your
>application based on OCI method will be more great then based on Pro*C.
>
>Vladimir

Pro*c precompiles into SQLLIB. SQLLIB is a layer on top of our internal API. OCI is a layer on top of our internal API.

Pro*c never compiles into OCI.

It is true however that in many cases that Pro*C can do in one statement what it takes 5 or more calls in OCI.

OCI has higher degrees of flexibility in that it is a lower level API then Pro*c is (to you the developer). You have more opportunity to control what happens and when with OCI.

Pro*C is (in my opinion) more productive then OCI cause I can write lots more stuff faster with it (less code I write).

I myself haven't found a quanitative difference between the 2. Poorly written oci runs slower then good pro*c and vice versa. Operation X might be marginally faster in OCI then in Pro*C (and vice versa). YMMV.

>In article <SxZtAAAVrxS3EwF9_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>,
> Steve Haynes <steve_at_nospamrwx777.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <3748F7A8.A5532E69_at_mail.com>, Andrew Babb
><andrewb_at_mail.com>
>> writes
>> >James,
>> >
>> >I am not sure about the different versions of Pro*C, but OCI is
>faster than
>> >Pro*C. Not sure how much by, but this is something that Oracle states
>due to
>> >the fact that the call interface is at a lower level with OCI.
>> >
>> >Rgds
>> >Andrew
>> >
>> I suspect the difference is not significant when compared to
>> maintanance. oci 7 and 8 are way different, but pro*c is pro*c.
>> I have only used oci when I needed arrays of cursors and
>> pro*c didn't support it.
>> Steve
>> --
>> Please remove nospam from my address to Reply.

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 09:19:51 CDT