Re: Context Server

From: <graf27_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 13:37:28 GMT

In article <374AD136.828DAD37_at_dci-ltd.com>,   Don Dazey <don_dazey_at_dci-ltd.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At a client I have recently implemented context option on Oracle 8.0.5
> running on Digital Unix version V4.0D (Rev. 878) on an Alpha.
>
> I will have to do capacity planning on the database server to avoid
any
> future performance hiccups. I will appreciate any input on the context
> server, like any undocumented features, glitches or potholes. Does any
> body have an estimate on the data to index ratios that the context
> server needs?
>
> Any input is highly appreciated.
>
> Please email directly at anthony_dasari_at_dci-ltd.com
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Dasari.
>
> Database Consultants - Tulsa.

Hi Anthony,
i've running the context-cartridge on Solaris with 8.0.4. After installing there are some new views and packages on your ctxsys user. After indexing you have more Index-Tables in the Database. In relation to your ploicies these tables are :

My Example:

An context-index on 1 LONG-col in a table with 12000 entries needs

SQL> desc DR_01103_I1T1

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 WORD_TEXT                       NOT NULL VARCHAR2(64)
 FIRST_DOC                       NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
 DOCLSIZE                                 NUMBER(38)
 WORD_TYPE                                NUMBER(3)
 WORD_INFO                                LONG RAW

SQL> select count(*) from DR_01103_I1T1;

 COUNT(*)

    51748

SQL> desc DR_01103_KTB

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 TEXTKEY                                  VARCHAR2(256)
 DOCID                                    NUMBER(38)

SQL> select count(*) from DR_01103_KTB;

 COUNT(*)

    11654

SQL> desc DR_01103_LST

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 SID                                      NUMBER(38)
 IDCOUNT                                  NUMBER(38)
 LTYPE                                    VARCHAR2(2)
 CONTIGUOUS                               NUMBER(2)
 DATA                                     VARCHAR2(1024)

SQL> select count(*) from DR_01103_LST;

 COUNT(*)

        1

SQL> desc DR_01103_NLT

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 FIRST_DOC                                NUMBER(38)
 IDLIST                                   LONG RAW

SQL> select count(*) from DR_01103_NLT;

 COUNT(*)

        1

SQL> desc DR_01103_SQR

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 QUERY_NAME                      NOT NULL VARCHAR2(32)
 SESSION_ID                      NOT NULL VARCHAR2(32)
 FIRST_DOC                       NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
 QUERY_RESULT                             LONG RAW

SQL> select count(*) from DR_01103_SQR;

 COUNT(*)

        0

attention:
tests with tables more than 150000 entries failed, there is no way to create the context-index !!

Good Luck
Toni

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Wed May 26 1999 - 08:37:28 CDT