How do I Insert newlines between columns

From: Keith Jamieson <pdkj02_at_email.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 11:43:45 +0100

I have an SQL statement as follows:

select column_a,
          column_b
          column_c
from table_name etc.

I would like to format the output so that it appears as follows:

columna
columnb
columnc

So, I need to concatenate the newline command. (\n) at the end of the first two columns.
The problem is that if I just coincatenate the newline command, the output I get is
just columna\n columnb\n columnc\n.
Does anyone know how I can achieve this?