Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: Stephen Harris <sweh_at_mpn.com>
Date: 25 May 1999 22:52:23 GMT

Bas Scheffers (bas_at_datadesign.nl) wrote: : On 25 May 1999 06:49:07 GMT, sweh_at_mpn.com (Stephen Harris) wrote:

: >So change your shell to ksh which comes with solaris, and you end up with
: >a shell that is 100 times superior to bash. "set -o vi" or "set -o emacs"

: This wasn't meant as Solaris bashing in any way, it's a good OS, every

And my posting wasn't a Solaris defense in any way. I use Solaris, HPUX and Linux professionally (Linux is mail/news/ftp/dns, Solaris is DB/Web and HP is DB/Finance). But bash _is_ deficient when compared to ksh IMHO :-)

: Actualy, the Sun guy that delivered and demonstrated our first
: Enterprise 250 saw we were a Linux shop and asked us why we didn't
: just install linux/sparc!

For experimentation and learning of Oracle, Oracle on Linux i386 is pretty good. And Linux PC's are cheap! But I wouldn't trust Linux with my financials data, despite liking it very very much. Heh, I've played with Linux since 0.12 days :-) Once you spec a PC to the stability requirements of a HP K class or a E3000 (mirroring, redundance CPUs etc) the machines get expensive. And Linux Sparc is still in the "wow, it works!" category, rather than in the "how well does it work" one.

--

rgds
Stephen Received on Tue May 25 1999 - 17:52:23 CDT