DBMS_PIPE vs DBMS_ALERT

From: Furkan Khan <khanf_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 07:51:29 GMT

Folks, has any one used these APIs ? If so can some shed some light on the pros and cons of the two mechanisms.

I have used DBMS_PIPE, it seems to work, but its not very reliable. Is DBMS_ALERT any better ??

  1. DBMS_ALERT is transactions based
  2. both mechanism are asynchronous.

Are there any performance implications etc... I am looking for a very scalable model

Any ideas appreciated.

You can mail me directly also.

Thanks and best regards.

Furkan. Received on Tue May 25 1999 - 02:51:29 CDT