Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: Anthony Mandic <am_at__.agd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 13:19:15 +1000

Bas Scheffers wrote:

> I wouldn't trust 50 gig of 20 years worth of financial data to NT,
> would you?

        I don't think anyone would.

> If you don't know any unix, it might be hard to get work in a unix
> enviroment. But 'enough unix for your resume' is not that hard to get,
> especialy if you'd work at a larger operation with a (couple of) full
> time unix admins. Just get a copy of linux and a good book and you'll

	Linux may not be the best choice. I've seen too many Linux users
	try and make the transition to Solaris and bring their bad habits
	with them. Solaris 7 x86 may be a better choice. Unfortunately,
	there isn't a version of Sybase available for it yet.

> be going for that $100,000.- a year job running Sybase on solaris,
> HPUX or whatever in no time. They are 95% the same as linux. Too bad
> the 5% is the anoying 5%, like having to work with a 20 year old shell
> on solaris that doesn't know what commands you typed last and such
> things. So you'll end up compiling and installing hundreds of utils
> that make life easy on a standard linux distribution yourself.

        What wrong with grabbing tcsh from http://www.sunfreeware.com ?

-am Received on Mon May 24 1999 - 22:19:15 CDT