ORA 01119 Mystery

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 18:47:34 -0400

    I recently upgraded six databases on four servers from 7.3 to 7.4. All run under Novell. On one of the databases I can no longer add a datafile to a tablespace without generating an ORA 01119 - which says the volume doesn't have enough space. I picked up the error first while trying to add a 5M datafile in a directory that has 4.6G free. Space isn't the issue. I can create a text file and add it to the directory where I want to put the datafile, so apparently I have write permission.

   I can add datafiles to the other five databases and all six have very similar structures, including the directory structures. I can't create the datafile either logged in as myself (DBA) from my client, or as internal from the server itself. Is there some sort of write permission that Oracle itself needs in Novell? The sysadmins seem to think I should be able to create the file.

   Any ideas??????
Thanks, Van Received on Mon May 24 1999 - 17:47:34 CDT