Pro*C or OCI, which is faster?

From: James Webster <jamesw_at_cardsetc.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:39:58 +1000

Hey all,

I am currently performing an evaluation of the various connectivity options presented by Oracle. I am chiefly concerned about performance; complexity is something that I feel can be hidden behind a complexity layer.

I have only tested Pro*C embedded SQL and Pro*C dynamic SQL (MODE=ANSI). At this stage, the order appears to be (lower number=higher performance)

  1. Pro*C embedded SQL
  2. Pro*C MODE=ANSI dynamic SQL

I want to add MODE=ORACLE dynamic SQL (I think you can save the parse step in some cases) and OCI to the mix. I think it will shake out as follows...

  1. OCI
  2. Pro*C MODE=ORACLE dynamic SQL
  3. Pro*C embedded SQL
  4. Pro*C MODE=ANSI dynamic SQL

What do you think? Does this concur with your experiences? I appreciate that it is not easy to say, one is faster than the other; one may well be faster at multiple row selects, while the other maybe faster at single row selects. Your opinions are appreciated however!

Regards,
James W. Received on Mon May 24 1999 - 00:39:58 CDT