Re: Migrate Access to Oracle 8

From: <mdlcpgs_at_alpha.gns.cri.nz.nospam>
Date: Mon, 24 May 99 08:51:59 +1200

>>> I have been trying to migrate an Access 97 database to Oracle 8 for
>>> Netware for the last 3 days to no avail. I downloaded the migration
>>> assistant from oracle's web site, but it's not working for me. Out of
>>> the 5 installation attempts, it actually functioned twice, once on NT,
>>> and once on 95. In both of these situations, everything goes fine
>>> until the wizard begins to move the data. Then I get a "440 Internal
>>> Error", and the process halts. When I attempt to set up the debugging
>>> log in the registry, I follow the instrutions contained in the help
>>> file, but no debug.log file. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have used the Access Migration kit fine for migrating the data structure. It builds sequences and triggers for autoinc fields and lots of other time-saving stuff. I havent tried it for moving data though. I'd rather do this myself. Frankly I am happy to stop the thing at the point where it creates the SQL scripts for creating the database. Reason for this is that I invariably want to tweak the structure on the Oracle side. This can for more accurate use of LOB types. Dealing with memo v. VARCHAR2 lengths. Access's 255 limit on text means you have memos for longer. Many (but not all) are probably fine in a longer VARCHAR2 field.

If you do load data yourself, then pay attention to tables with Autoinc fields. The mig wizard sets the starting point for sequences 1 higher than the last value in your existing tables. You need to either turn off the trigger on these tables while you load data (probably easiest) or reset sequences and load carefully. Received on Sun May 23 1999 - 15:51:59 CDT