Re: Starting external Programms

From: Roger Snowden <rs_at_homie.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 14:48:35 GMT

You use the "extproc" facility that is described in the Data Cartridge Developer's Guide, found in the regular doc set and available on the technet site and pretty much any server product cd-rom. A "c" program started this way is running like any C program under the OS. You can make OS calls directly and do not need OCI or Pro*C unless you are connecting back into Oracle with a new session. Moreover, the external program is part of the session space of the calling pl/sql (trigger, stored proc, etc) and cannot do ddl or commit transactions.

The doc has some good examples and there is probably some sample source on technet as well. Register if you have not at technet.oracle.com, it's free and useful.

Roger Snowden