Dates, Y2K and Oracle 8 - question

From: Okana <Okana_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 10:13:44 -0700

VB5
Oracle 8.4 and 8.5
ADO I use an Update SQL statement and execute the command. (I do not open a recordset) The only way I have found to update date fields in this manner is to pass the string configuration (dd-mmm-yy) in the update statement.

Problem - Dates passed this way are being evaluated wrong when they hit Oracle - 2003 now becomes 1903, etc. I thought that Y2K compliance standard dictated that any two digit year less than 35 be automatically evaluated as 20xx. Oracle is not doing it this way. (Stupid assumption on my part)

So - my big question is, if I do an update SQL statement is there a way to pass a date value with a four digit year in the statement or am I going to have to open recordsets to update any date to assure Y2K compliance?

And as a side note - why is Oracle8 not Y2K compliant in this area?

Michael Milliron
mikem_at_msamail.com
okana_at_msn.com Received on Fri May 21 1999 - 12:13:44 CDT