Re: Database vs. Tablespace vs. Datafiles

From: Greg <news2_at_baxnet.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 16:20:09 GMT

I see. In fact, I can add, delete, resize, etc Tablespaces with no problem. I even know *why* I'd use them. I'm just having a rough time putting together *where and when* to use them. In other words, at what point do I "attach" them to the DB? Can I do it after DB creation? Can the DB's reference to tablespace(s) be changed on the fly (in other words, can I change the rollback TS from "A" to "B".

Now when creating a DB, I'm asked for a DATAFILE that will eventually hold the dictionary, schema etc. A DATAFILE ? This is confusing to me - why in heck is that initial storage space NOT A TABLESPACE? I'm assuming that DATAFILE is already attached to a Tablespace anyway.. what am I missing here?

So if I created the DB, now I have to add other TableSpace(s) to it, is that right or wrong? (Rollback, index etc.) How do I do that *after* the DB is created?

To further confuse me, I saw a script the other day that did something like this: [sic]

Create DB using file "filename"
add tablespace A
add tablespace B

It just added the tablespace to the server, right? How did it automatically add it to the DB? Especially the DB we just created? And again, why in heck is that "filename" used instead of a TABLESPACE? I'm gonna drive myself to drinkin over this...

Sorry this is so academic, but I'm learning !

Greg Received on Fri May 21 1999 - 11:20:09 CDT