Re: Questions: ORACLE process

From: Kenny Gump <kgump_at_mylanlabs.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 07:00:57 -0400

cheers_up_at_hotmail.com wrote in message <7i26i9$om8$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Hi,
>
>I am learning ORACLE, I have following questions, would
>appreciate someone explain to me...Thanks
>
>1. what are the possible reasons for your SQL query or
> PL/SQL programs running very slow?

     The slow result could be many things. Poorly written code, not using indexes, correlated sub-queries, poorly designed tables, badly tuned database.

>2. A DB developer is running SQL query or PL/SQL program.
> Is it possible for DBA to rollback this DB developer's
> process?

     The DBA can us an alter system command to kill a user and any processes he is running in the database.

>3. How to stop/kill/drop a running PL/SQL program in ORALCE.

       If you are using SQL*PLUS CTRL-C will stop the program.

>4. Assume, I have following records in a emp table:
>
> emp_id
> ------
> 2
> 4
> 1
> 5
> 6
>How do you write a SQL query to have the following result?
>
> emp_id
> ------
> 2
> 4
> 1
> 5
> 6
> -----
>Total 18

   In SQL*PLUS you can use the compute command to achieve this.

compute sum label 'Total' of emp_id on report

select emp_id
from emp;