ADVICE NEEDED - Striping? SQL? Speed

From: Jane H. <memberjh_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 19:35:40 -0400

PROBLEM: When I execute a query across the database (approx. 300mb), it takes about 35 secs. to return the results.

This is too long. I need it to be back in 4 seconds max, preferably much less. Any advice is appreciated.

QUESTIONS: Would using Oracle instead of Access make it CONSIDERABLY faster?

Is there a better way to write the SQL statement? (The strings can be in either field, but each string in the array must exist).

Do I need more Drives in the Raid Set? Is there a general formula to calculate performance?

What's a good configuration, (without too much more additional expense)??

How can I get the results faster (i.e. 5 seconds or less)?

SERVER CONFIGURATION: 4 - 9MB SCSI DRIVES / 10K RPM
Dual Processor - Intel 400mhz
512MB Ram
Raid Card / Raid Level 5 (3 striped)

SQL (text fields up to 255 chars.)

 SELECT Field2,Field3,Field4,Field5 FROM Table1 WHERE

               (
                   (
                     (Field3 LIKE '%string[0]%') OR
                     (Field4 LIKE '%string[0]%') OR
                     (Field5 LIKE '%string[0]%')
                    )
             AND
                    (
                     (Field3 LIKE '%string[1]%') OR
                     (Field4 LIKE '%string[1]%') OR
                     (Field5 LIKE '%string[1]%')
                    )

             AND
                    (
                     (Field3 LIKE '%string[2]%') OR
                     (Field4 LIKE '%string[2]%') OR
                     (Field5 LIKE '%string[2]%')
                    )

                ) ORDER BY Field5

etc.

Thanks in Advance :) Received on Thu May 20 1999 - 18:35:40 CDT