Re: oracle client configuration

From: <mdneal_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:55:40 GMT

At the very least you will need SQL*Net8 to talk to the Oracle server from the client side. If you want the ability to query the database on the server go ahead and install the full client. It will install SQL*Plus in addition to some other components. Once installed you can configure the client machine by either running NetAssistant and setting up a new connection service or by manually editing the $ORACLE_HOME/Net80/admin/tnsnames.ora file to create a new connection paragraph for the server you want to connect to.

Hope that helps.

Mike Neal

In article <7i0vpn$2cnf$1_at_quince.news.easynet.net>,   "TwoSheds" <kevin.porter_at_fast.no> wrote:
> I've got Oracle 8 running on my NT4 Workstation, but I want to be
able to
> log on to the database from other machines on our network.
>
> I realise this will involve setting up and configuring Net8 and Names
> Servers and Listeners, using host name addressing, and configuring
these on
> the server to listen for incoming connection requests.
>
> I have read lots of documentation (that came with O8), but am still
unsure
> about what software I need to run on the client side, ie the machine
I want

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Thu May 20 1999 - 12:55:40 CDT