Re: Development question?

From: <mdneal_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:45:58 GMT

OK...here is my concern. I create a view based on 3 tables (A,B,and C).

Format of all tables.

MFG PART_NUM URL

---   --------   ---
AAA   0123-abc   http://www.somesite.com/subdir/somefile.txt

BBB   0124-bca   http://www.anothersite.com/subdir/otherfile.txt

Tables A,B,and C would contain data like the above from different suppliers. I would want to nightly merge them into for instance PROD_URLS. A week down the road D, E, and F join and want to start sending me equal data to above. Would I not have to recreate the view with each addition to select from the newly added table or do I just not understand views at all?

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for the possible ignorance.

Mike Neal

In article <HiV03.321$kF4.89_at_news-reader.bt.net>,   "Kevin A Lewis" <KevinALewis_at_Hotmail.com> wrote:
> Surely you will find view are okay unless you need to structurally
change
> the table, adding, updating or deleting data from the based tables
should
> have NO effect on the views.
> However any new select on a view will bring back the new data.
>
> In fact if you would actively want to use views in this case as a
merged
> table will need constant maintenance.
>
> If you MUST have a merged table have a look at Materialized Views in
8.1
> (i.e. 8i) this gives the best of both worlds.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich
England)
> <KevinALewis_at_HotMail.com>
>
> The views expressed herein by the author of this document
> are not necessarily those of BOCM PAULS Ltd.
> <mdneal_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote in message
> > In article <37432e14.3096452_at_news.worldonline.nl>,
> > mj_at_dds.nl wrote:
> > > Mike,

> > > Have you considered views?

> > ---------
> > > --- Martin (mje_at_telebot.com)
> >
> > Martin,
> > Actually I did think about it, but I don't believe that is the ideal
> > strategy to use. The tables within "multiple tables" will change
quite
> > often. (i.e. new customer decides to start sending us data which
> > populates that table, or customers descides to stop sending data).
In

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Thu May 20 1999 - 12:45:58 CDT