Re: ORACLE HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

From: Fred Ruffet <fruffet_at_kaptech.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:12:05 +0200

>a. why do you use Oracle instead of Ms. Access

1.It's better !!! :-) Oracle offers a lot more possibilities than access (or it makes it easier).
2.Did you already tried to use Access on a linux, a Solaris, a HP-UX, or whatever good system you want ?
3.Oracle really offers you the opportunity to make a DB out of an analysis. (Access=not all relationships possibles)

4.Net configuration is more complete
5.It's faster on big processes

The number of points that makes Oracle better is large. In fact, there's only one problem with Oracle, but it's important : Access is easier to use. I believe that Access is better for small use, when Oracle is better for big applications.
For example, I've already use Access to program an application for a small library, and I'm actually using Oracle to work on a database that represents the model of the firm I work in (containing all the informations on people who work there, on the computers we use, on the comptability of the firm, and so on...). You should made your choice when you'll have an idea of the size your DB will have.

>b. the capabilities and limitations of Oracle

see a.

>c. a few actual applications in which Oracle is used

see a.

>d. how long have you used the Oracle

4 years as user, 2 months as DBA

>e. others ...

Oracle isn't a microsoft product, but maybe it won't change anything for you. :-)

>f. Please give a note whether you are a programmer, an analyst or a
>user

I'm programmer and analyst. (maybe more analyst than programmer, but maybe not...) Received on Thu May 20 1999 - 09:12:05 CDT