Re: Personal Oracle 8 & Developer/2000

From: Paul Couchman <paul.couchman_at_kvaerner.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:41:25 GMT

I had a similar problem, but this was on NT 4.0. The below comments are not necessarily applicable to Win95.

The main problem is that Developer/2000 V2 has no knowlege of Net8 and so SQL*Net V2 needs to be used. You will need to ensure that the database listener is running and that you have a TNSNAMES.ORA entry for connection to the listener. Below is a listener.ora entry and a tnsnames.ora entry I used for connection to the database:

You can then connect as user/pass_at_DBLOCAL.world

Hope this is of some help, and does not cause confusion. It was some time since I had this problem and haven't pursued it much recently.

Paul

LISTENER.ORA

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = TCP)(PROTOCOL = TCP)(Host =
<machine>)(Port = 1521))

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=ORCL))
  )

CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10 SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =

      (SID_NAME = ORCL)
    )