Help with SQL PLUS message 'Input truncated to ... characters'

From: Catherine Page <Catherine_at_treesong.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 20:24:22 +0100

I have got a problem using SQL*Plus: Release 3.3.3.0.0 supplied with Personal Oracle7 Release 7.2.2.3.1 - 90 day trial license

With the distributed and replication options PL/SQL Release 2.2.2.3.1 - Production

The problem is, I keep getting a message following some queries, for example:
'Input truncated to 9 characters'

the number varies occasionally, but not in an obvious way.

I have tried altering column formats, length of headings, setting numwidth but can't trace the problem. As it is not an 'error' message I can't find it in error message listings. I have been trying for weeks to get rid of this message, can anyone spot the problem! --
Catherine Page Received on Wed May 19 1999 - 14:24:22 CDT