Character probs w/ Web Server

From: Shannon Hickey <shickey_at_frameworks.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:39:22 -0400

Hello,

I am wondering if someone might know the answer to my problem. I have been trying to include some accented French characters in my PL/SQL code to be displayed on an html page.

For example, if I write the following procedure

PROCEDURE GEN_FRENCH IS
    BEGIN

        htp.htmlOpen;
        htp.p('á â Ç Æ æ ç é');
        htp.htmlClose;

    END; If I call the procedure from my navigator, the displayed text looks like:

<HTML>

a a C ? ? c e
</HTML>

Why is that? I know the database and PL/SQL can handle these characters, so what's wrong with the web server? I realize that I can use the special html codes such as &eacute; but this doesn't help me when I eventually want to dynamically create javascript. For example, alert('&eacute'); does not work but alert('é'); does. So does alert('\351') but I would like to keep the coding the same between html and javascript.

Any replies to my e-mail shickey_at_frameworks.com would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Shannon Hickey Received on Wed May 19 1999 - 11:39:22 CDT