Re: conv. Sybase -> Oracle

From: Chris Weiss <weisschr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 14:56:42 -0400

With some creative SQL you should be able to generated the DDL for your tables and views.

The data from your table could be transferred with any tool that supports multiple database connections such as Delphi, MS Access using linked ODBC tables, etc. If you have no other tools, build SQL from SQL into a spool file that you can run on Oracle. I know that ISQL for Sybase can pipe its output to a file.

You shouldn't be able to directly convert procedures and triggers because Oracle uses PL/SQL while Sybase uses Transact SQL. I don't know of tools that do this.

If you are looking for a more a automatic process try a tool like Erwin. You can begin by selecting "reverse engineer database" on your Sybase schema. At the very least, your tables, views, foreign keys, etc. should come across. Some tools might even preserve your triggers. After reverse engineering your Sybase database, you should be able to switch and rebuild your schema in Oracle. You will still have to transfer the data in an outside process.

Christopher Weiss
Professional Services Staff
Compuware Corporation