Duplicating database to a new name

From: bozo <bozo_at_clown.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:14:12 -0400

I need to set up 3 identical copies of a database (schema) within a single Oracle instance.

The fastest way I have been able to figure out how to do this, is to build the first database and export it. If I then import it under a new name, everything gets converted, except references that are imbedded within PL/SQL.

From Unix, I can run a perl script to globally search/replace the schema name within the export file. When I then import this converted export file, everything is fine and valid, as long as the schema names are the same length. If the schema names are a different length, then I get a lot of errors on the import.

Has anyone got any ideas about this fastest way to do this or what else needs to be done to finish converting the export file, when the schema names are a different length?

As an example, the initial schema that I build is called 'abclive' and the new schema name is 'abctest', the third name is 'abceduc', for 'live', 'test' and 'educ'ation. I cannot guarantee that the new names will always be the same length, though.

TIA, Tom Griffin
ZZZtlg_at_datatel.comZZZ (remove ZZZ's for Email)

PS: Apologies if I incorrectly used the terms database and schema.

Spam bait (With credit to E. Needham):
root_at_localhost
postmaster_at_localhost
admin_at_localhost
abuse_at_localhost
postmaster_at_127.0.0.1 Received on Mon May 17 1999 - 10:14:12 CDT