character sets and pound sign

From: Chris Gadsby <chris_gadsby_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:10:43 +0100

Can anyone help please ????

I have an oracle 7.1 system with both dos and windows clients. If I enter character data containing the pound sign (£) there is a difference depending if it is entered via do or via a windows client. At the moment the dos system is fine and uses ascii(156) for a £ sign. By default the windows client uses ascii(63) which doesn't seem to translate correctly.

I'm sure the solution is somewhere in the nls parameters but I don't know where.

Can anyone help??

My MS SQL Server database has no problems - both the dos and windows MS-SQL clients pass the £ sign as ascii(156) - so there are no problems with that.

Thanks for any hints

Regards

Chris Gadsby Received on Mon May 17 1999 - 06:10:43 CDT