Help - Flatten that file!???

From: Dave Smith <davsmith_at_spamMeNot.nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 00:19:27 GMT

I need a push in the right direction, since my experience with SQL isn't deep enough to ferret this one out.
The real world table I need to collapse actually has about 35 columns, each column has a single value for each instance of the NAME/ID pair. Ultimately, I need to make the first table end up looking like the second.
I rather have a hint then be give the actual, SQL statement. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

NAME ID DOG CAT FISH

Ted                1 Big
Ted                1            Small
Ted                1                       Small
Kim                2 Small
Kim                2            Big
Kim                2                       Big

NAME              ID DOG        CAT        FISH

Ted 1 Big Small Small Kim 2 Small Big Big