Shadow data from Oracle to SQL Server

From: <coled_at_cfw.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:19:40 GMT

Hello. I’ve got a bunch of tables on an Oracle Server that I need to shadow (not just link!) to a SQL Server (V6.5). Since the Oracle Data is in an ODBC tablespace, I figure that I can set up a trigger on the SQL Server that fetches the data daily to refresh the local SQL tables. BUT I’ve never actually done this before, and am slightly concerned that (1) I’m wrong (2) there’s a better way (3) there’s an impending complication that I’ve overlooked.

Does anyone have any comments on whether this is a good way to retrieve the data (1 day’s lag in freshness is acceptable to us), whether there is a better way that they’d like to recommend (we don’t want to use 3rd party products, though), or whether any “gotcha’s” are lying in wait for me? If there’s anyone out there who’s done this before, would you be so kind as to spell out the full procedure in beginner’s terms for me? Or please refer me to a brief document detailing this specific process. I would greatly appreciate it,

   D. Cole

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Thu May 13 1999 - 11:19:40 CDT