Re: HELP: recursive query

From: Geoff White <whiteg_at_ccis.adisys.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 11:28:42 +0800

This worked when I tested it on the data you provided:

select a.KEYFIELD,b.VARNAME, a.VARVALUE from MyTable a, MyTable b
where (a.KEYFIELD,a.COUNTER) in (
select KEYFIELD,max(COUNTER)
from t1
start with VARNAME like '%_pp'
connect by VARNAME=prior VARVALUE
group by KEYFIELD)
and a.KEYFIELD=b.KEYFIELD
and b.VARNAME like '%_pp'

Result was:

abc        $d123_pp   pptvh_486
def        $l472_pp nhg23_77x

Note that it relies on the final value being held in the row with the highest counter value.
Of course it is not optimised - just cobbled together.

If you have any further questions regarding this feel free to email me.

Geoff