ORA-1581 - How do I prevent this, not fix it afterwards?

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 03:57:48 GMT

Hi all,

I'm getting the following error during some heavy-duty processing.

In the alert file:

        Failure to extend rollback segment 4 because of 1581 condition

A 1581 reads

ORA-01581 attempt to use rollback segment name %s extent %s which isbeing allocated

Cause: Undo generated to extend a rollback segment run out of current undo block space and is attempting to write into the new extent, which has not been completely allocated.

Action: The rollback segment extending itself will be rollbacked by the system. No more extension will be possible until the next extent is freed up by the rolling back or committing of other transactions.

(Clear as mud - to me it sounds like it tried to use the new extend for the rb segment before it had finished allocating it.)

Unfortunately, "rolling back or committing" is not an option - it's a single update that has worked thousands of times before - and doesn't have that kind of manual control available.

There are 4 rollback segments on line, each extending by 2M, in a 200MB tablespace with autoextend on. When the error happens, only 173MB of the tablespace has been consumed. The server is 7.2.x on HP.

Any recommendations on what to do to prevent this condition would be most welcome!

Ciao
Fuzzy