permissions on $ORACLE_HOME/bin

From: sweth+oracle-misc_at_sweth.gwu.edu <(sweth+oracle-misc_at_sweth.gwu.edu)>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 22:53:06 GMT

        i just accidentally ran a chown -R oracle:dba on my $ORACLE_HOME directory as the oracle user, instead of as root; chown, being the nice security-conscious app that it is, immediately turned off the suid bit on all files under $ORACLE_HOME. i'm on hold with oracle support right now (call time: 1 hour, 13 minutes and counting...), and am getting some less than helpful answers from them. for one thing, they keep alternating between whether bin/oracle should be chmod-ed to 4755 or 6751; after my mistaken chown, it was left as 0755, and chown only resets the suid bit, which to me says that the old permission was 4751. does anyone know what the "right" permissions should be?

        another problem that i have is that, while looking at the perms in bin, i noticed that bin/coraenv is 0777. the tech at oracle support insists that this is correct, but i can't believe that. does anoyone know of a good reason to _not_ change the permissions on that script to 0751?

        well, the tech just got back to me... according to him, my only options are to a) backup my init<SID>.ora, config<SID>.ora, tnsnames.ora, and listener.ora files, and then reinstall, or b) chmod -R 4700 ${ORACLE_HOME} and then chmod 6751 bin/oracle. the latter makes absolutely no sense to me, especially since it will prevent anyone other than the oracle user from accessing tools like sqlplus and svrmgrl, so i will probably have to end up doing the former. does anyone have any other suggestions?

	tia,
	sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli
IS Coordinator, The George Washington University <sweth_at_gwu.edu> / (202) 994 - 8521 (V) / (202) 994 - 0458 (F) <a href="http://astaroth.nit.gwu.edu/~sweth/disc.html">*</a> Received on Tue May 11 1999 - 17:53:06 CDT