Re: Internal vs. External LOBS

From: Dante <dnotari_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 18:50:46 GMT

Mark,
  before you decide you should concider:

  External LOBs are not

  If you choose to use external LOBs your application has     to write the file to the filesystem (which the DB     can access) and then create the reference to it.     (LOBs can be read via DB)

  So why use BFILEs ? It reduces the transaction time,    the need of rollback segments and gives more flexibilty    regarding direct update of your documents (the document    can be updated directly on the Filesystem ... or not -    depending on OS privileges)

  For further details have a look at the Developers Guide   for LOB.

Regards
Dante

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Tue May 11 1999 - 13:50:46 CDT