Re: ORA-1595 / ORA-1575 Errors

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 19:02:22 +0200

Hi Ron,
I have never seen this error, but I am almost sure what is going on. You are using an optimal value on your rollback segment # 18 (which you can find using v$rollname).
The segment is being trimmed back (that is where the 'freeing extent' is referring to) and either another transaction is at the same time trying to reuse that extent or you are unable to obtain a latch (which is the dictionary locking mechanism).
I have always avoided using optimal, as I know space management is time consuming in Oracle 7. The 'optimal' optimal value seems to equal four times the initial extent.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA